HEADLINES:

All members of NRT team released after being arrested while covering Duhok protest

The moment before reporter Bewar Hilmi is arrested in Duhok on January 26, 2019. (Screenshot/NRT Digital Media)
2019-01-26

4928 View

+ -

SULAIMANI —All of the NRT Digital Media journalists, cameramen, and employees who were arrested earlier on Saturday (January 26) while covering the aftermath of deadly protests in Shiladze have been released.

“We were detained for three hours at Duhok Security Directorate and our journalist equipment has been seized by the security,” NRT Digital Media reporter Taif Goran said after being released.

In addition to Goran, reporters Bryar Neroi, Rebwar Hilmi, and Nihad Oramali were also arrested, as were cameramen Omar Hamid and Adil Sabri and driver Abdulbari Abdulhakim.

The team was filming in front of Duhok Emergency Hospital in order to report on the condition of injured protesters who were being transferred there on Saturday evening (January 26).

They were then approached by the security forces as they were broadcasting, arrested, and taken away in a car.

Their equipment was seized by the authorities.

Director of NRT Shwan Adil said that the journalists' safety was the responsibility of the security forces in Duhok.

At least one person died and at least ten people were wounded when protesters stormed a Turkish military facility in Shiladze in Duhok province.

The protests were in response to Turkish airstrikes that killed four people on Wednesday.

(NRT Digital Media)

This story was updated on January 27, 2019 at 12:35am EBL.