HEADLINES:

Three suspects arrested for attack on Kurdish family in Turkey’s Mersin: Erbil governor

One of the members of a Kurdish family who were hurt on May 14, 2021 when they were attacked by four people in Mersin’s Bozyazi district (NRT Digital Media/Screenshot)
2021-05-14

1509 View

+ -

SULAIMANI — Following an attack on a Kurdish family visiting Turkey from the Kurdistan Region, Erbil Governor Omed Khoshnaw said on Friday (May 14) that the Turkish Consulate General in Erbil officially communicated to him that three suspects have been arrested in connection with the attack. 

Khoshnaw said in a statement that the consulate also said that an investigation is ongoing.

The governor revealed that the victims are receiving treatment at a hospital and that they are in stable condition.

Two members of a Kurdish family, including a 12-year-old boy, were hurt on the first day of Eid al-Fitr on Thursday when they were attacked by four people in Mersin’s Bozyazi district, according to witnesses and a video that circulated online.

One witness told NRT that the family had been hit with rocks.

In an earlier statement, Khoshnaw called the attack “inhumane” and demanded that the perpetrators be brought to justice.

Head of Iraq’s Council of Representatives’ Foreign Relations Committee Sherko Mirwais condemned the attack in a statement and called on the Turkish government to punish a "racist group" who attacked the family.

He also called on the Iraqi diplomats to follow up the case with the institutions responsible for investigating it and to prevent a recurrence of such attacks in the future.

(NRT Digital Media)

This story was updated at 5:51 p.m. EBL