HEADLINES:

Two people who had been missing since Turkish airstrikes found dead, according to their families

Protests in Deraluk
Gathering of a number of people in Deraluk sub-district to denounce Turkish airstrikes (Photo: NRT Digital Media)
2019-01-25

1423 View

+ -

SULAIMANI — The bodies of two people who had been missing since Turkish airstrikes earlier this week were found on Friday (January 25) in Deraluk subdistrict.

According to their families, the pair had gone hiking in the vicinity of Matin mountain when they went missing.

Their families believe that they died in the airstrikes, which destroyed a cave where they had been sheltering.

Family members told NRT Digital Media Nihad Oramali said that they deceased men were named Bakhtiar and Ziad and were residents of Heititi.

The victims’ families are currently working to retrieve their bodies.

Turkish warplanes bombed the Rashava area of the Kurdistan Region’s sub-district of Deraluk at approximately 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday.

Two other individuals - later identified as a student and a Peshmerga - were killed in the strike and were buried on Thursday.

Protesters gathered on Friday to condemn deadly airstrikes

The protesters called on the Kurdistan Regional Government to urgently address the issue and prevent further airstrikes.

Turkey has been bombing the Amedi district for the last five years. At least eighteen people have been killed and dozens of others wounded in the attacks.

Turkey intermittently carries out airstrikes against suspected positions of the PKK in the Kurdistan Region. Besides airstrikes, units of Turkish army have entered 30 kilometers into the Kurdistan Region.

(NRT Digital Media)