HEADLINES:

SDF will respond if Turkey continues to breach ceasefire agreement: officials

Members of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) stand together near Baghouz, Deir Al Zor province, Syria February 12, 2019 Rodi Said / REUTERS
2019-10-18

928 View

+ -

SULAIMANI — Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) officials said that they will exercise their right to self-defense if Turkey continued to breach a newly-struck ceasefire deal between the US and Turkey.

Hawar news agency, which is close to the SDF, cited officials as saying on Friday (October 18) that Turkey had been bombing Ras al Ain and other areas in northeastern Syria.

Reuters also published reports from the area that shelling had taken place on Friday morning, mere hours after US Vice President Mike Pence announced an agreement had been reached with Ankara to suspend military operations in order to let the SDF withdraw.

The SDF officials warned that they would respond if Turkey continued to breach the deal, according to Hawar News.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) reported that there had initially been a lull following the announcement of the deal, but that “Turkish Forces violated this calm by renewing the rocket shelling after midnight of yesterday on Ras al Ain.”

(NRT Digital Media)