HEADLINES:

UAE says convincing evidence needed regarding Gulf tanker attacks

United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan meets Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Moscow, Russia, June 26, 2019. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina
2019-06-26

335 View

+ -

SULAIMANI — The foreign minister of the United Arab Emirates said on Wednesday (June 26) that “clear, scientific and convincing” evidence was required on recent attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf region.

Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, who was speaking in Moscow at a press conference with his Russian counterpart that was broadcast on Al Arabiya TV, also called for de-escalation of tensions in the region, according to Reuters.

The UAE has submitted the results of an investigation into explosive blasts last month on four vessels off its coast, including two Saudi oil tankers, to the United Nations which showed that a state actor was behind the operation but without naming any country. The United States and Saudi Arabia have blamed Iran, a charge Tehran denies.

(NRT Digital Media/Reuters)