HEADLINES:

Iran accuses Saudis of militaristic approach in Middle East

Abbas Mousavi, spokesman for Iran's Foreign Ministry, gives a press conference in the capital Tehran on May 28, 2019. (ATTA KENARE / AFP)
2019-06-17

351 View

+ -

SULAIMANI – Iran accused its main regional rival Saudi Arabia on Monday of adopting a “militaristic, crisis-based approach” for accusing Tehran of carrying out last week’s attack on two oil tankers at the entrance to the Gulf.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on Sunday urged the international community to take a “decisive stand” over the attacks - but said the kingdom did not want a war in the region.

“Salman’s charges against Iran in various situations are a continuation of Riyadh’s misguided approach and attempts to escape the problems brought on by their own policies,” Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said, according to state TV.

“Saudi Arabia has poured out the wealth of its people and countries in the region with a lack of proper understanding of the region’s variables with a militaristic, crisis-based approach.”

Iran has denied any role in Thursday’s strikes south of the Strait of Hormuz, a vital oil shipping and transit route.

(NRT Digital Media/ Reuters)